Tuesday, November 15, 2011

BLOG 7: Revision of CATW PRACTICE 3

               Music cannot simply be there for amusement but also can be used to heal. According to “Is Music a Good Tool for Health”, Elizabeth Scott, stated that music affects the body and the mind. In fact, researchers recently found that music can be used in a strongly way to help patients with pain management, to help them and to ease up their muscle tensions. Therefore, it doesn’t only help them to relax meaning music therapy can create a way to prevent damages that can cause chronic stress, and bring a more positive state of mind in which I strongly agree with the idea that music has a big role in people’s behavior when it comes to emotions and reactions.

              Moreover, from a TV show that I have watched in the summer called “Switched at Birth,” there was two girls that were switched together then later on reunited. But one of them who were living a bit different from the other, the environment was very low and caused her to develop an ear disease that caused her to lose her sense of hearing even though she could read lips. Referring to a part of the episodes, that showed us she was actually upset with her mother and suddenly ran to her room then took her IPod started listening to music and kept on moving her body with the beat of the song and all. But then I questioned myself, what in the world was she listening to? And then, the other girl asked her what she was listening to because she was deaf. That was when she replied and said “she couldn’t hear the lyrics, but she could hear the beats” and that she had learned a technique in deaf school. The program had created a way for them to calm their emotions and anger, because mostly individuals that are deaf intend to have an extremely high temper in which they cannot control. From getting that upset, they can start breaking things and even cause them to have brain damage. Then I realized a person doesn’t have to own all five senses to hear and enjoy music and from listening to the beats, she was eventually calmed and ready to speak.

                   Another example is from my own typical experience, because I remember this time, I was actually thinking of my mother who is living in Haiti apart from me. My father who doesn’t like the idea of me talking to her on the phone the way I do, because I could speak to her for hours and never get tired. Therefore, I think of her very often and cry most of the time because I miss her deeply. My father would come at me and started yelling, and speak in a way a father shouldn’t have. He would curse over and over till I scream and burst into tears. And my only refugee of not being able to respond was my music, I would listen to the music for hours till I fall asleep. It helped me to think more of what has to come out of my mouth. it allowed me to imagine myself standing next to my mother and block every single problem I had at the moment. Sometimes the music would bring me in a special place where I could see nothing but an empty space all to me, no one’s voice was allowed in to that special place. The music would help me hide into my shell and think of nothing and write poems about what I felt, and I saw. I would fall with the rhythm of the beat with my eyes close nothing but my thoughts and the love I had for my mother. It would calm my anger of cursing at him back. From listening to slow songs then I would feel better and love my mother twice as much.

                     In addition, music is there not only for personal consequences, but it is there and used to cure mental problems and emotional regards and basically a benefit to your health and more.

No comments: